Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 22

Hello,
Thank you to everyone who sends comments as it's great to hear from you! I'm not posting daily because nothing is changing. As I posted. We waited 2 weeks to ask for a court date. The small town the orphanage is in only has court on Mondays and Fridays. When we went in last Friday, we were told to come back this Friday and they would assign me a date. I really was hoping to have been assigned a court date last Friday as I haven't heard of others having to wait a week like this and coming back. :( So.... this Friday we have an appt. and I hope to be given a court date for next week. (fingers crossed!)
I switched apartments this morning to one that is more cheery and bright as I've been holed up in a bedroom without windows for 15 days! I'm serious. I couldn't take it any longer. No tv, nothing. I gave the living room and tv to my translator. This apt. has a tv in the living room and bedroom so I'm living in the living room and even though I don't watch much TV can't wait to get home this evening and watch television - we have BBC here so it will be in English! :) I'm also close to Lenin Square and will be able to step out in the evenings for a glass of wine or a snack if I choose to. Where thу last apartment was a mile or more away down dark residential streets that I kept off of after dark.
Took the children to the iceskating rink again this Saturday and they have taken to ice skating like fish take to water. lol They love it. This week, we had gloves on and socks on all of their feet so we were much better prepared. Those of you planning on traveling I haven't seen an MP3 player on the packing lists but will share that I WILL be returning with one on my 2nd trip. I don't listen to them at home nor am I a music fanatic but unless you like loud disco music, I'd recommend one. I'll be loading mine up with classical music so as I ride in the car to/from the orphanage or just walk through the malls or streets, I'll be able to have a peaceful environment of wonderful classical tunes instead of the loud blaring disco music that is everywhere. I'm sure many of you enjoy it but I'm just not into what they call disco and really don't listen to loud music period. lol Other than that and warmer clothes, the packing lists well prepared me. I wouldn't bring all the T.P. again as the TP here is easily available at every store and the brown Ukrainian paper isn't that bad to be honest.
The children are happy to see me each day and I'm unsure who looks forward to the visits most, me or them! :) I'll let you know Friday (let's hope this time!) when my court date is and thus, when I'll be returning home. :)

4 comments:

The Gregory Family said...

Hang in there... it's only a matter of time till your court date and then your children come home... Maybe since it has taken so long to get the court date you can convince the judge to waive the 10 day period???? Never hurts to ask. Take care. Mike.

Amy said...

Well Melinda!
Here is your official welcome to "Ground Hog Day!" That is what we called it when we were there... every day seems to be almost the same - and you lose track of what day it is!
My fingers are crossed that you get a date soon so you can move on the whole "gettin them home!" thing!
Best wishes!
Amy

Carol and David said...

Melinda,

I am so happy for you. All of your posts sound so upbeat. I think it is great that the orphanage will let you take the children out. Ours only let us take Kola out to purchase clothes and to get his passport picture taken....then we had to take the child psychologist with us.

Also, it sounds like Kostya is not with you, but that you have a full time translator with you? Is that true? We were by ourselves except the first couple of days when we were doing the paperwork and then when we had the court date and then again when it was time to leave.

It really has been exciting reading your blog...even if it seems like little is going on with you!!! It seems like a lot to us.

Missy said...

Melinda,
I have a question for you...I am also a single wanting to adopt. I had someone "inform" me that Ukraine outlawed singles adopting this past summer. Do you happen to know if that is true? I am so enjoying knowing you are there getting your kiddos!